Search This Blog

Thursday, January 27, 2011

Facebook's "sponsored stories" creates controversy


Facebook's "sponsored stories" creates controversy

Social networking's fascination with following the actions of participants is increasingly being mined for its marketing possibilities. Click on this link to read a Washington Post (1-27-11) story about a new marketing practice of Facebook that takes users expressions of likes and check-ins at restaurants and attaches them to products for advertising purposes.  There are apparently some questions about how clearly the practice is being described; this affects the level of consent achieved for participation.  If I choose to share my life with my online friends, am I also choosing to share with them my buying preferences?  Perhaps!

No comments:

Post a Comment